Jump to Navigation

Establishing Minnesota and Wisconsin Parenting Time or Visitation

What is Parenting Time?

A separation or divorce does not end a parent's responsibility. Following a separation or divorce, whenever possible both parents should continue to be involved in their children's lives. Parenting time, also termed visitation, refers to the time the non-custodial parent spends with a child, regardless of the labels used in the custody arrangement. Parenting time is often set according to a schedule as a result of a court order and granted to a parent who does not have primary physical custody or to parents who have joint physical custody of their minor children.

Mom and Dad Are Both Entitled to Visitation With The Children

Courts in Minnesota and Wisconsin consider the best interests of the minor children in determining the appropriate parenting time allocated to each parent. These factors include the age and maturity of the children, the capacity of the person requesting parenting time to appropriately parent his or her children and the nature of the relationship between the parent and his or her children.

While parents should allow their children to love the other parent freely, even if the relationship between the parents has ended, this does not always happen. Effective parenting includes protecting the children from conflict and recognizing that the child has a right to a relationship with the other parent. Parents have a legal responsibility to support and encourage a child's relationship with the other parent. When a parent interferes with parenting time, restricts access to the child, denies access to the child and uses a child as a pawn to get more child support or other concessions, they are violating Minnesota and Wisconsin parenting time law. When the other parent of your child is denying parenting time to you, contact Chmielewski Law Office by email or call us toll-free at 866-446-6529to protect your rights. Delaying taking legal action can seriously prejudice your rights in many Minnesota and Wisconsin courts.

Establishing Full Rights To Parenting Time

Minnesota and Wisconsin have various laws about child custody and parenting time, including local rules of the court, which can complicate actions to establish or increase parenting time. By their very nature, child visitation petitions can become very emotional and frustrating for parents and children. Chmielewski Law Office knows the rules of court and will adeptly navigate state law in pursuit of your case to provides several different options for parents, including these:

  • Engage and participate the Mediation and Parenting Time Expeditor process to obtain a parenting time order in a manner that productively resolves issues and provides the means to move forward.
  • Seek agreements on non-contested matters through stipulations between the parties and file these with the court administrator to obtain the court's order.
  • Make sure that our client's rights are protected from the inappropriate actions of a custodial parent or the inappropriate involvement of a noncustodial parent.
  • Take contested parenting time issues through trial and appeal.

Learn more about establishing or modifying parenting time in Minnesota or Wisconsin. Call a family lawyer at our office in Woodbury, Minnesota. Call toll-free at 866-446-6529